Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hope For Haiti



"Did you see Hope For Haiti last night?" I sent in a text to my friend miles away at Bloomsburg University.
"Yeah, I saw it. It was on like every channel." I received when I woke up.

So, my question to you world is: Did YOU see Hope for Haiti last night?
If you didn't theres no excuse because it was widely broadcasted on every channel and then replayed a second and maybe third time. I wouldn't know about the third time personally, I went to sleep, but the first time I happened to see it was during an encore presentation.
I must say, I really enjoyed the performances.
There were a large number of celebrities there, not only speaking and performing but getting on a more personal level answering phones and holding conversations with various callers.
Some of the celebrities included: George Clooney, Taylor Swift, Reese Witherspoon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Morgan Freeman, Chris Rock, Steven Speilberg, and Wyclef Jean- a Haitian native.

I won't rant about the performances because, lets face it they are all over youtube as I type but they were interesting.
It was a different experience for me watching someone give a tearful performance and then not be faded out by the roars and clapping of thousands of fans. In fact there were no roars of any type, just the drowning in of ringing telephones as the camera cut to a celebrity addressing a donator. 

After Justin Timberlake and his breakout star performed the hit song Hallelujah, I searched the web to find out exactly who it was he was performing with ( frankly with the angle of the camera he very much resembled Dave Grohl from 'The Foo Fighters') who I later found to be Matt Morris. Just an hour after airing- ONE HOUR- I typed "Justin Timb-" into google and "Hope for Haiti performance" came up before I could finish his name. It just shows how big of an impact this show really had. 

So I leave you with two videos that I think you might enjoy.
And if you would like to have the mp3 version(you know without stealing it...pirates) then you can always go to iTunes and buy those performances.


No comments: